This is a little bit of an early warning but I think this is very cool sounding event so I wanted to give you ample time to get it on your calendar and also I wanted to have time to run a contest to give away a pair of tickets.
To enter to win the free tickets leave a comment telling us your best story of how prohibition impacted your family or friends (it’d be awesome if it’s a true story but if you’re clever enough to convince us it’s true well that will be ok too). I’ll choose the winner at random from all the entries I receive by 10PM Thursday June 25, 2009.
Put on your glad rags and come on down to our
juice joint for a night you won’t forget!
That’s right, youse guys! For one night, we’re going back to the bad old days
of the 1920′s for a good old fashioned Prohibition Era Speakeasy.
Enjoy some “tea” from your free wax dipped Maker’s Mark mason jar. If
you want to learn how to brew, My Old Kentucky Homebrew will be demonstrating
on the spot. Maker’s Mark is also sending one of their master distillers to the
party for a little public education.
Our local paper, “The Sneak,” will give you the skinny on who can be
bribed to do what, so bring some $1 clams to buy off the cops, get your picture
in the paper, or have your enemies thrown into jail. (If you’re imprisoned, you
can always bribe your way out of the clink.)
“The Sneak” will also give you clues how to talk to the Godfather and
what to do in order to win a cigars, money clips, and a flask from J. Shepherd
Cigars, a bottle of Dumante Liquor made in Italy, and a Maker’s Mark wax dipped
For our gents, rumor has it we may have a live barbershop set up on premises
offering real live straight razor shaves.
Since you’re gussied up anyway, our gin joint’ll have a dance floor where youse
guys and gals can show off your smooth moves.
Come dressed as gangsters and molls. If you don’t have a pinstriped suit or a
flapper dress, a jacket and tie are required for men and an evening gown for
ladies. Go on, you always say you never have an excuse to dress up. Take a
night out on the town.
Pre-registration is only $25. Admission is $35 at the door.
Highlights of the night include:
- a free engraved & red wax dipped mason jars from Maker’s Mark
- a Maker’s Mark Master Distiller in mobster costume explaining how bourbon is made
- a brewer from My Old Kentucky Homebrew demonstrating how to make your own hooch
- a mobster barber performing live straight razor shaves
- a jail cell and corrupt cops who’ll throw your friends in the clink for a bribe
- a godfather (and his bodyguards) who will send you on missions to prove your worthyness for prizes including a bottle of Dumante, a Maker’s Mark wax dipped fedora, plus a flask, moneyclips and cigars from J. Shepherd Cigars
- a cigar girl selling her wares
- a plucky girl reporter documenting it all
- a newspaper full of period ads and tie-in news stories explaining how to win prizes
- dancing and a live swing band
- free posters for the Johnny Depp movie “Public Enemies”
60 West Bistro
3939 Shelbyville Rd
Louisville, KY 40207